September 28, 2013

London Broil

London Broil is a great cooking method for cheap cuts of meat. If you love beef but don't want to pay for high-end cuts, pick up any inferior cut of beef and cook it London Broil style. Typically your meat supplier will label the beef as London Broil. Don't be fooled though, London Broil is a cooking method, not a cut of beef!

I prefer to use a soy based marinade for my London Broil meat. This is really only because I love salt. For London Broil, I tend to avoid anything that isn't liquid in the marinade. This is because the meat is cooked at a high temperature and anything that isn't liquid stands that chance of imparting a sour flavor once it's burned.

Marinate your London Broil meat at least 4 hours before you plan to cook it; overnight is best. About 30 minutes before you plan to cook it, take it out of the fridge to bring it up to room temperature. Remove the London Broil meat from the marinade.


Today was a particularly rainy day so I cooked this piece of meat on the stove. However, you can certainly grill it (and that's preferred), but either way you do it, it's delicious. Get whatever surface you're using to cook this meat up to a high temperature. In my case, I'm using a pan and I set the heat on high. Once the pan began to smoke, I lowered the temperature to medium-high and added the meat. Be sure to have your fan on if you're cooking this indoors.


I like to flip mine after 3 minutes per side, but unless you like your meat really rare, you'll need to keep it on the grill or in the pan until it reaches ~130 degrees before you pull it off. Do not cook a London Broil meat beyond medium or it will be too tough to enjoy. Don't let the smoke and burning smell scare you; keep the meat on the heat until the internal temperature is to your liking.


This piece of meat was on for ~15 minutes before I pulled it off to rest for ~5 minutes. I like to use my Bear Paws Meat Handlers to hold the meat while I'm slicing it thin against the grain. Always slice this type of meat against the grain and as thin as possible.


Pick up the meat and put it on a plate (if your dinner guests care about meat juice) and you're all set!


2 comments:

  1. It looks very good. I try to cut my meat against the grain and it's still tough. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just a poor cut of beef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This meat here is a poor cut of beef. You have to cook it hot and fast and not beyond medium. If you like your beef cooked beyond medium, buy good cuts. Want it medium rare, pull it off at 120°. Medium, 130°. Don't forget to slice it thin and let it rest.

      Delete